HOME
MY PROFILE
WORLD NEWS
MY ARCHIVE
LINKS

Friday, July 01, 2005

Last Night With Cheb Khaled

Last night, I attended a diplomatic reception honoring the Algerian pop star Cheb Khaled. The Party was held at the Jordanian Embassy, which I thought was a very kind and generous gesture by the Jordanian government in general and the Jordanian Ambassador in particular. But, I could not help but ask: Why the heck was the party not held at the Algerian Embassy? Khaled is only one of the biggest artists to ever come out of Algeria. It appears that the Algerian Embassy was asked to host the event but turned it down. To be fair, though I remain skeptical, there may have been logistical or scheduling conflicts that made it impossible for the Algerians to host the party. But, again I remain unconvinced as to the explanations I received so far.

At any rate, it was good fun and the hundred or so people in attendance were treated to some great food from a local Algerian restaurant and an upbeat speech by Khaled. Tonight, Khaled will be singing at the George Washington University Lisner Auditorium.

9 Comments:

Blogger toygirl said...

hey i want just to say that you are realy lucky to see him
i tried many times , when he was here in morocco but nevr could sow him

July 03, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

je n'ai pas pu assister moi non plus à son concert au Maroc,
ewa a sidi Bessaha

July 04, 2005

 
Blogger Jawad said...

Toygirl: First, welcome to my blog. I hope you come back often to comment on my writing.

Khaled is a cool cat. I spent a few minutes talking to him and his wife whose mother, by the way, is from Oujda. Her father is Algerian from Tlemcen. All in all, very pleasant.

Ninine: Peut etre qu'on peut remedier a ca la prochaine fois qu'il va au Maroc.

July 04, 2005

 
Blogger Myrtus said...

Oh wow, I didn't know he was half Moroccan. Jawad, I'm so jealous! (; Khaled is my fave!
I'm glad you had a good time.(:

July 05, 2005

 
Blogger Jawad said...

Hi Myrtus:

Actually what I meant is that his wife is. He's 100% Algerian. But, what difference does it make. We are all the same people.

July 05, 2005

 
Blogger Myrtus said...

oops! Sorry Jawad,I need to pay better attention.
Haven't had much sleep lately...gotta watch my back you know? (;
I agree with you, doesn't make a difference at all.

July 05, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the chance to attend Khaled's concert here in the states, and it was awesome. His voice is still unbelievably powerful!!! Never thought I would have so much fun!!!

Peggy

July 12, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Algerian government does not like Cheb Khaled. He has made statements against them and his music is usually looked down on by overnment types because of its local and "fun" genere. The Algerian government hates "Rai" music becuase many artists sing about political things, and sometimes Khaled does/did so they probably would not want to support him, which is a shame. They do not like Rachid Taha either.

July 21, 2005

 
Blogger Jawad said...

@Piggy:

First welcome. You are right. That's what impressed me about him - his voice is still, as you said, powerful.

@Nourdine:

Interesting - I did not know there was friction between him and the authorities in Algeria - but if that's the case then it would explain the embassy's behavior.

July 25, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home